Five unique handmade baby gifts to make for baby showers
If you’re looking for baby gifts to make but are bored with the standard baby blanket and booties, here are five unique and unusual (but still functional!) gifts to make that would make perfect baby shower gifts.
- time capsule – Wouldn’t you like someone to make you a time capsule of things from the year you were born? Collect newspaper and magazine clippings on news, trends and fashion, a little toy from the latest children’s movie and most importantly, take pictures of their home and town! Document their neighborhood, take snaps at the local grocery store, the post office, the cars on the street, the local school, in front of their house, their parents and family! Include notes from family members and a special letter from you introducing them to the world. Gather everything together and put it in a decorative wooden keepsake box, leaving room for parents to add their own things. Imagine what a treasure it will be when they are your age!
- Padded mat – No, it’s not just another boring cover! This time, create an extra thick, padded blanket, a plush surface that’s perfect for tummy time, even on hardwood floors. Get creative and add “activity” toys, such as detachable soft toys, flaps that hide light-up pictures, and small ribbon tags. You can even line the bottom with a waterproof PUL fabric which will turn it into the perfect outdoor blanket on a wet grass park blanket.
- Name blocks – Buy enough blank wooden blocks from a craft store to spell the baby’s name. Decorate each block with the letter and/or pictures that start with that letter. You can paint with non-toxic acrylic paint, cut out with paper or fabric, or wood burn your design. For design ideas, look at the crib bedding set the parents signed up for and use the same theme or color scheme on your blocks.
- shuffle CD – Make baby a mix CD? Yes! Create a mix CD of soothing music, classical is an obvious choice, but get creative with music from your collection or check iTunes for lullaby ideas. Alternatively, a fun and upbeat mix of baby-friendly music might be just the thing! Admit it, most music marketed for babies is terrible and many parents wish they had a CD of “normal music” to listen to that is still baby friendly.
- handmade books – You can purchase blank hardback books that are the perfect canvas for your own stories! If baby will be living away from extended family, create a story using real photos of family members so baby can get to know them. Or create a fun story about the pet, your own version of an alphabet, a picture book with different types of cars or butterflies, etc. Draw your own or create collages from real photographs or magazine images.
Have fun creating unique handmade gifts for your next baby shower! These fun projects will be enjoyed by both parent and baby, which is exactly what a handmade baby gift should be.